About Me

Lindsay M Starr is a beadwork and mixed media artist currently based in Nashville, TN. She spent her early childhood in Alaska, and her school age and college years in Oregon. Lindsay has a great appreciation for history, science, and nature and is consistently inspired by insects, sea life, color, and the significance of beads and beadwork throughout human history. She spends her days beading, walking at the zoo, and practicing yoga. Lindsay loves to share her knowledge and passion for beads and beadwork to hobbyists of all skill levels.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Art Elements Use Your Stash Challenge January 2018

Well, the first month of 2018 is gone...how did that happen?  I've made the resolution that this year is going to be my creative renaissance.  I intend on creating every day, in whatever capacity I am able.  With that being said, this month got away from me once again and I procrastinated WAY too much to get my project done fully!  I think this might be the first time I have ever posted a work in progress.  But some of that is due to enthusiasm...because this is what my project box looks like for January...
With the best of intentions I raided my artisan components after Christmas.  I pulled out components, accent beads, and seed beads so that I could just pick up a little box and go and create without thinking about anything.  I have a seperate bag of tools/needles/thread and other necessities, so all I need to do to take a project on the run is grab a project box, bag of tools, and a surface.  It is definitely helpful to be prepared like that!  I had hoped to have more than 1 project for the reveal, but instead...
I found this partially completed project and was inspired to finally finish it.  These two ceramic leaves were a gift several years ago from a friend.  Neither of us remembers the artist anymore.  At the time I made a really long lariat strap for them, but it was too plain.  Needed more to create an environment for the leaves to live in...
I went with transparent rootbeer brown and matte olive lined olive seed beads for the strap, because I wanted the leaves to look like they belonged on the ends of this vine.
Then I made two large beadwork flowers in raspberry tones.  I love the combination of raspberry and olive.
So here we are.  In order to make this look like something other than flowers stuck on leaves on a string, I needed something to add more texture and background color.
I made three lacy spirals using netting and fringe techniques.  For the brightest one, I also stitched up 3 little bud shapes to match the flowers.  I like the look of 3 points of contrast in a piece, so I hoped that these buds would help balance the flowers.
The tendrils are not yet stitched in place, but this is what I'm going for!
There should be lots of ways to tie this when I'm done.  Not only can you tie the two sides of the strap together in various ways, but you will also be able to pull up one or more tendrils and wrap them around the strap to help keep it attached to the other side.
What do you think?!  I wish I had gotten farther along on my project, or done and been able to work on more, but oh well.  Baby steps - after all, I am working to create a new culture of creativity for myself.  None of this happens in one day, or one month, or one year even.  I have the entirety of 2018 to build on this for myself.

I hope you will hop along and see what everyone else has been up to!  I can't wait to see!
Guests:
Kelly Rodgers
Sarajo Wentling
Samantha Wescott
Kathy Lindemer
Patty Miller
Linda Landig
Renetha Stanziano
Art Elements:
Jenny Davies-Reazor
Jen Cameron
Claire Fabian
Sue Kennedy
Niky Sayers
Lindsay Starr (you are here!)

17 comments:

  1. I always love to see what you're going to come up with next. This one is no exception...so lush and textural. It really is amazing how quickly January came and went :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That creation is crazy WOW! So much work - so frilly and interesting - WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is so lush and gorgeous, Lindsay. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is stunning! It makes me really wish spring would hurry up too...I say this as it's currently snowing outside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work is just amazing. The necklace is just stunning. The flowers and leaves compliment each other and add wonderful colors to the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always impressed how you use your beads to create sculptural threedimensional pieces! I love how you are going with the "tendrils" and everything, it looks alive and growing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I'm so impressed with your necklace! So cool with the tendrils. This is the type of beadwork that I don't think I'll ever have the skill or patience for but so appreciate what others dream up! The flowers and buds are a great addition to make the whole design feel lush.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh I am so excited to see what you do with all those amazing pieces and just WOW, WOW, WOW I LOVE the necklace you took beautiful leaves and made them into a show stopper necklace that is just stunning, I love the colours the flowers the tendrils EVERY THING!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gah! so stunning! Can you teach me those beaded flowers some day! Wowsah! That is fairy wear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a botanical masterpiece, madame! I love the original flower and leaf combo, but those little swirly vines are so, SO cute and they just make the piece. Great job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE!!! I love the colours, the texture the 'touchyness'. I LOVE everything about this piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous love the flowers. Is there a tutorial on them or are they out of your experienced hands and head! Stunning necklace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shirlee, thanks for asking about the flowers! They are a well developed riff on the peyote flower tutorial in The Beader's Floral book by Liz Thornton. You should definitely check it out!

      Delete
  13. Wow! In my opinion you did a TON of work! That was a lot of beadwork you did to create this stunning piece. A showstopper! Those tendrils with the buds you created is the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a beautiful piece Lindsay. I'm always amazed at your beading skills! It looks like it's going to be fabulous to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lindsay, your seedbead work is so alive! This piece looks like nature herself. It's just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As always, I love your work, PIB! Those ceramic leaves are particularly fab and how you showcase them is awesome. But most of all...I am super intrigued by all the projects you selected and can't wait to see what u do!

    ReplyDelete