About Me

Lindsay M Starr is a beadwork and mixed media artist currently based in Nashville, TN. She spent her early childhood in Alaska, and her school age and college years in Oregon. Lindsay has a great appreciation for history, science, and nature and is consistently inspired by insects, sea life, color, and the significance of beads and beadwork throughout human history. She spends her days beading, walking at the zoo, and practicing yoga. Lindsay loves to share her knowledge and passion for beads and beadwork to hobbyists of all skill levels.

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Sunday Funday - Week 8

Week of December 1-7, Early December

Hello again!  I am still deep in the process of Christmas gift making.  I can't wait until I can get back to beading for myself and my friends!  I have so many projects in the works right now, but gifts must come first so they can be mailed hither and yon.

I've been sewing a lot lately, and not just the fish ornaments you've already seen.  This year, all of the kids in my life are getting handmade Christmas stockings.  Keven helped me serge and hem a thousand miles of fabric for dress up squares too (really glad to have help with all of that).  I'm also working on some small leather projects, and have a second batch of fish to dye soon!  Oh, and I made my first leather vest!  I really hope it's not too big for my friend's daughter...or that by the time she grows into it she's still into Sheriff Callie...

I spent quite awhile at the zoo yesterday with a friend.  It was really nice to go with someone who hasn't been in a long time - I got to play tour guide!  More of the animals were out than we expected, what with the colder weather, and we rode the carousel, like two little kids!  Then, on the spur of the moment, we decided to go to a bead show.  The little American Bead and Gem shows come through Nashville and Knoxville a couple of times a year, so I'm familiar with several of the vendors.  I tried really hard not to buy anything!  But as you can see above...that really didn't go so well.  I bought some pearls, all at really low show prices, and a fantastic strand of rough labradorite.  I love the look of rough gemstones, but sometimes they don't feel nice...these however, have just enough polish to feel soft and show off the excellent color flashes in the stones.  I finally bought a length of enameled evil eye chain, and the copper chain was the perfect finishing touch for...

Jenny's cat necklace! You might remember this necklace from one of my recent posts.  I'm so excited to finally have figured out a solution for this lovely piece...it's been bothering me for weeks!  I used some of the silver foil Czech lampwork beads that my friend in Oregon just sent me as links to attach the pendant to the chain.  I love how they mirror the silver lined XL seed beads in the fringe!  And the textured chain I bought yesterday is dainty, yet the right scale to fit with this simple necklace.  I really hope Jenny likes it!

I also finished up Jenny's mermaid necklace!  I've been trying to get all of her pieces finished up so I can send everything to her in one package, and have finally managed it.  I am going to be a little sad to see this piece go!  It is really a pleasure to wear, with its long swaying fringe.  But I guess that just means I need to make some more fringe-y pieces, right?

My latest post is up over at the Art Jewelry Elements blog this morning too.  
It's all about now my mom and I do our holiday "gift" exchanges.  You should check it out!  (But MOM!!!  Don't read it unless you want a sneak preview of what you're getting this year!)

I really do hope to add some Etsy listings and do another post this week...we shall see if that actually happens!  It all depends on how finishing up the gift-splosion goes!  Until then, you can always keep up with me on Facebook, or check out my Etsy shop!  Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

  1. As usual, loved the post! The cat necklace looks great with the changes you made! Yay! And I really love the mermaid necklace - its even cooler in person, methinks!! And lastly...what on earth are 'dress up squares'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dress up squares are simply a square piece of fabric that's been hemmed all the way around. We used them as kids for ALL of our imaginative dress-up play. My brother and his buddies used the animal print ones to play Tarzan, or we knotted little ears in the fabric and they were jungle animals. By tying them in different ways with simple overhand or square knots it's super easy to make capes, dresses, togas, skirts, pants, wings, and anything else your imagination can dream up! Way better than dress up clothes that you can grow out of!

      Delete