About Me

Lindsay M Starr is a beadwork and mixed media artist currently based in Nashville, TN. She spent her early childhood in Alaska, and her school age and college years in Oregon. Lindsay has a great appreciation for history, science, and nature and is consistently inspired by insects, sea life, color, and the significance of beads and beadwork throughout human history. She spends her days beading, walking at the zoo, and practicing yoga. Lindsay loves to share her knowledge and passion for beads and beadwork to hobbyists of all skill levels.

Thursday, December 21, 2017

Tacky Holiday Earring Blog Hop

I had to join my friend Diana's Tacky Holiday Earring blog hop when she announced it on Facebook recently.  I don't wear earrings regularly any more because my dayjob involves being on the phone wearing a headset for most of the day.  BUT I LOVE MAKING EARRINGS.  They are true instant gratification projects.  To fulfill the tacky part of the challenge, I dug into my bin of plastic beads and things, on the hunt for some little things I knew I had squirreled away...and the adventure began...
I have had these little Domo-kun charms for years.  They are from a movie theater vending machine.

Devil Domo's are selected...perhaps you sense what is coming next...
SNIP SNIP.  Are you laughing yet?  They are so distressed!
It all starts with some red felt, white mohair, and a hot glue gun...
Hair styling...
Beard and jacket happen at the same time, because the edge of the collar will hold the beard in place...
A corner of the fabric is snipped to make the shawl collar.
Snip off the other corner and the jacket is done...but some accessories may be needed...
Oh, that's right, a belt with a gold buckle...
And the hat!
I attached a wire to the charm's loop before attaching the hat, then slid the hat right on the wire!  A slight trim to get the hair out of his eyes, and a teeny pom pom finish it off.  But don't you need another for a pair of earrings?
Yes, you do!  Everything starts the same...
But, this one needed an extra tuft of hair...
Because the finished hairstyle is a granny bun...you can tell where this is going next, right?
A simple a-line dress needs lots of accessories, right?
Like a pearl necklace, and poinsettia in her ?
Plus a hair ribbon and fancy gold "brooch"!
Introducing Domo Claus and the missus.  I hope you all had as much fun following along as I did making this pair!
Please hop along and see what other tacky holiday delights everyone has come up with! 










Laney Mead

Heather Boardman

11 comments:

  1. This is the BEST THING I've seen ALL YEAR!!!!!! I LOVE THEM! Yes, I'm shouting! And laughing! You are too creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahahahaha! That is so perfect! I love all the work you put into them and they are one of a kind in this world. Merry Christmas! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious! These are so stinky cute, I can hardly stand it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are amazing. Everyone should own some Domo-Claus earrings. I can't love them enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG... these are my favourite!! I LOVE THEM!!! tacky or not I would wear them all year :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. MR & Mrs Domo Clauss!! Its hilarious and yes slightly scary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to laugh at where you started with these, but the end result is so great! You put so much detail into these! The final result really tickles me. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, all that work was totally work it. These are the best! I love your vision that you saw these from the original pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG Lindsay they are just TOO CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I realized where you were going with these little guys I could not help but laugh. They are so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can never go wrong with Domo-kun *grin*

    (I sent a message through Flickr about this year's doll show, if you're interested--it's close to my house this year!)

    ReplyDelete